Saturday, July 13, 2013 10am – 3pm Sunday, July 14, 2013 12pm – 5pm
$12 General Public/$8 CNC Members
CNC Members can purchase their tickets in advance beginning July 1 at the Visitor Services Desk
The Flying Colors Butterfly Festival delights everyone all weekend at the Chattahoochee Nature Center when the air fills with the beating wings of hundreds of beautiful butterflies!
Join us for this very important fundraising event for the Chattahoochee Nature Center!
BEAUTIFUL LIVE BUTTERFLIES
- Live Butterfly Releases—Thrill to the release of live butterflies on Saturday and Sunday
- Saturday Release Times: 11:00am and 1:30pm
- Sunday Release Times: 1:30 and 3:30pm
- Butterfly Encounter – Explore our live butterfly exhibit in a 20×20 walk-through exhibit where you will have contact with more than 200 free-flying butterflies!
- Butterfly Crafts and Face Painting – We have crafts for everyone! Kids can get their faces painted with beautiful butterflies and creepy caterpillars!
- Butterfly Sidewalk Art – Butterflies provide the perfect inspiration for our on-going art project. Create a “butterfly path” from the Ben Brady Lakeside Pavilion all the way to the “fairy village!”
- Fairy House Construction – Fairies are among us. Stop by the free play area and build a fairy house or gnome home during the Butterfly Festival. Fairy houses and gnome homes are made from nature objects for real and imaginary creatures. Nature materials provided; bring your imagination.
- Butterfly and Caterpillar Costume Parade – Come with your very best butterfly wings or your best caterpillar colors on and join us for our butterfly parade at the end of festival each day with grand marshal Ms. Chrysalis!
- Butterfly Plant Sale – Find the perfect host plants and nectar plants to take home to your garden to attract butterflies to your backyard! CNC Horticulture volunteers will be on-hand at the plant sale and in the butterfly garden to answer your questions about how to attract butterflies and other pollinators to your yard!
- Calling All Butterfly Detectives – Get outside in your backyard and see what you can find! Download the Butterfly Observation Form here and bring to the Nature Exchange at CNC during the Flying Colors Butterfly Festival to receive a surprise from the Nature Exchange!
MORE FESTIVAL FUN!
- Live Entertainment
- Food for the Family – Enjoy ice cream from Brusters while keeping cool (a portion of all the proceeds from the sale of ice creams comes back to CNC!) We also have food trucks on hand so you can spend the day at CNC (vegetarian options available). Feel free to bring in your own picnic lunch to enjoy on the grounds (no glass or alcohol please)
- Participating Food Trucks: Shane’s Rib Shack and The Pup Truck
- Check out some of our AMAZING vendors on-hand:
- Dances With Bees – “LIVE HONEYBEE EXHIBIT” with honey, candles, soap, lotions, lip balms and more!
- Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area – Learn about the various butterflies found along the Chattahoochee River, how they are related, and about their life cycle! Take a Butterfly Checklist with you and start keeping a life list of the different species in the river’s corridor.
- The Trendy Boutique – Get your magnetic jewelry and hair accessories for girls – butterfly and flower designs! Also selling interchangeable snap-on hair flowers and flower rings.
- Kites in Flight – Shop here for Butterfly, Eagle, and Dragonfly kites!
- Joseph’s Colours – Original designs of nature/garden apparel & gifts including butterfly, bird, and lady bug motifs with trellises, tuteurs, garden décor and whimsical critters!
- Kathy Walton – Recycled steel whimsical yard art and sculptures!
- Mystery Gems & Accessories – Handcrafted Jewelry using crystals, charms, and pearls. Butterfly and dragonfly bracelets, South Hill Design’s Lockets, scarves, totes, and lunch bags with insect prints!
- Sandies Label – Hand crafted, one of a kind fabric collage items with vintage prints of butterflies, birds, and flowers!
- Gilded Girl Pottery – Hand built, food safe and lead free pottery including butterfly candle holders, butterfly houses, and more!
- Elfenworks Foundation – The Breathing Butterfly Project orients children with learning how to breathe deeply for calming by thinking of how a butterfly flaps its wings in and out.
- Head into our Discovery Center and explore!
- The Nature Exchange will be full of fun for the festival(because of the busy nature of the festival, we won’t be allowing trades to come in but if you have existing points to trade with, our Nature Exchange naturalists can help!) Stop by to view our insect and butterfly collections, jump in our butterfly changing room, color and insect, and MORE!
- Take a turn in our Butterfly and Insect Changing room to change from a caterpillar to a beautiful butterfly.
- Visit our insect collection and learn fun insect facts!
LAST MINUTE DETAILS
- Please Carpool! There is limited parking in the CNC parking lot. There will also be free shuttle bus service available from St. Francis School near the corner of Willeo/Azalea and Highway 120.
- Please note that there is not an ATM on site. Cash may be needed for some vendors including food
- Please note that pets are not allowed on the CNC grounds.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 770-992-2055 ext. 236.