Labor Day, an annual federal holiday in the United States, celebrates the achievements of the American work force with a national day off on the first Monday in September. A time for relaxation with family and friends as well a chance to bid farewell to summer with a long weekend, Labor Day is a popular time for special events and festivals throughout the country. This round-up offers a selection of several fun ways to celebrate Labor Day in Georgia!
- Callaway Gardens Sky High Hot Air Balloon Festival Pine Mountain, Georgia August 30 – September 1, 2013 This annual Callaway Gardens Labor Day Weekend festival features old-fashioned fun and the beauty of the sky filled with the color of hot air balloons. Highlights include balloon rides, family-friendly activities, music, exhibits, demonstrations and more. Friday evening features a gorgeous balloon glow, weather permitting.
- Dragon*Con Atlanta, Georgia August 30 – September 2, 2013 This annual multi-media and pop culture convention celebrates science fiction, fantasy, comics, literature, art, music, film and more. Featured events include film festivals, concerts, parties, costume contests, exhibitors, a parade and much more.
- AJC Decatur Book Festival Decatur, Georgia August 30 – September 1, 2013 The largest independent book festival in the country, this popular annual festival features more than 300 authors and activities including author appearances, live entertainment, cooking demonstrations, interactive fun for kids and more.
- Art in the Park Marietta, Georgia August 31 – September 2, 2013 Enjoy one of the largest juried art shows in the Southeast during Labor Day weekend. Held in Glover Park, this fine art show highlights over 130 artists, plus a children’s art alley and an artist demonstration area.
- Annual Labor Day Weekend Catfish Festival Kingsland, Georgia August 31 – September 2, 2013 The largest festival in Southeast Georgia, the annual Labor Day Weekend Catfish Festival features three days of southern-fried catfish, country music, a parade, arts and crafts booths, collectibles and antiques, a family-friendly amusement area, a classic car and tractor exhibit, 5K run, an annual pancake breakfast and more. In addition to the featured catfish, vendors will sell other popular food items such as hot dogs and hamburgers, fries and onion rings, barbecue, boiled peanuts, funnel cakes and soft drinks.
- Celebrate Freedom Atlanta Marietta, Georgia August 31, 2013 Atlanta’s largest free one-day outdoor concert will take place on Saturday during Labor Day weekend at Jim R. Miller Park with a fireworks finale. Tickets are free, but required.